Mic Check

So here's the deal, I was looking for some Amir Sulayman poetry and theirs quite a few I had in mind to post, with the assumption that you all are poetry freaks like me. However I think I found something I decided to share for the time being. It pretty much illustrates the type of discrimination my family and I faced on our way back from saudi at the london airport, and yes it still does exist. It's called a random check and we had to lets just say let go of alot of "potentially dangerous items" in our luggage, one being our zamzam water (the sacred well/water located near the KaĘżba at Mecca). I assume they believed zamzam water to be hazardous and life threatening, hence we had to watch it being discarded infront of our eyes. Mind you all that we've actually brought zamzam water to canada before, but that day it was described to be a lethal substance but kheyr....o yes, this poets name is suheir hammad, she's a regular on def poetry jam, but this is one of my all time faves. Note her grand departure upon the completion of the poem...wicked eh (<--written for stereotypical purposes only)


imaan49

7 comments:

Mina said...

I dont know whether to click my fingers or clap my hands lol, I loved it, such talent bravo bravo...also loved her exit tre bien.

Sorry to hear bout your zamzam water:( those airport ppl can be so ruthless sometimes.

ascension said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The antidote said...

loool mina you kill me, how bout trying to do the snap an clap your hands at the same time

Anonymous said...

that was nice, very emotional might i add...you shouldve posted an amir suleiman

The antidote said...

hey samira, its coming up soon inshallah, but i just had to post this one first

Mina said...

Lol thanks for the advice, might actually try it hehe:)

Cavs Nation said...

aww sorry about the zamzam water..and amir suleiman is a cool guy mashallah. i see him around my hood all the time